These Monster Finger Cookies are utterly grotesque but ultimately delicious. A perfect alternative to the iced sugar cookie that is such a Halloween staple.
We’re doing a Halloween Potluck at work tomorrow and for some reason, whenever I think about bringing something to a potluck my mind goes numb. It’s like everything freezes and all I see is that dumb hamster spinning on a wheel.
It’s like performance anxiety…I know all the material on the test but I cop out, close my eyes and randomly select an answer (which is typically in the form of a fruit platter or some other pre-made grocery store junk). Not this time! I am making and bringing shortbread cookies that look like monster fingers!
I used my favorite Shortbread recipe. It’s from the Silver Palate Cookbook. Which also happens to be my most favorite cookbook of all-time. The cookie recipe is actually a Valentine’s day Shortbread Hearts recipe but I love the texture and taste so much I decided to try my hand at Monster Fingers.
3/4 lb (3 sticks) sweet butter, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
MY ADDITION: 1 tsp cocoa powder (for dusting) and 20 sliced almonds
Makes approximately 20 “fingers”
- Cream the butter and confectioner’s sugar together until light. MY TIP: Soften butter in microwave for 30 seconds if you are impatient like me.
- Sift the flour and salt together and add to the creamed mixture. Add the vanilla and blend thoroughly.
- Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in waxed paper, and chill for 4 to 6 hours. MY TIP: I found that chilling for 2 hours was sufficient. This may vary depending on your climate/equipment.
- Roll out the chilled dough to a thickness of ⅜ inch. Using a 3-inch-long heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar. I did not do this! I formed dough into fingers…see below.
- Place the cut-out cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and refrigerate 45 minutes before baking. I used parchment paper for mine!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, or until they are just starting to color lightly; cookies should not brown at all. Cool on a rack.
My supplies are gathered.
Butter and confectioners sugar creamed.
Sift flour and salt together and mix into butter/sugar mixture.
Form dough into a ball, wrap with wax paper and refrigerate for 2 1/2 to 6 hours.
Form dough into “fingers” use a knife to cut detail into knuckles.
Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Apply sliced almond as fingernail. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Stick in fridge for 45 minutes then bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
Enter…Spooky Monster Finger Shortbread Cookies! They are delicious and perfect for Halloween!